Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Roman Around

We were in charge of defences for a fort. It was a strange round fort - well, oval fort – and I was the one in charge of the overall defence of it. There was me and someone else there to help me, and we looked at what we had available to us. The defences ranged from spider-looking metal ants up through legions of legionnaires. Which would work since my fellow defender and I were both Roman soldiers, dressed in leather and metal armour, and I know I was carrying a Roman short sword too.

The fort itself was, as I say, oval and made of white bricks, perhaps marble. But rather than a fort it was more like an oval wall about 6 feet high or so, with the hole in the middle being a grassy space down at ground level. The wall/path was maybe 3 feet wide, and the whole fort was only about 15 feet long.

My defence plan was organized so that it started with the spider/ants out at the far end and then the closer you got to me at this end the more “real” the defenders were. The first line started at the point where the inner oval ended, and I left the last bit of the fort open, so that whoever was going to attack could get that far only. I thought that an attack might come, but I didn’t know who, or when or how or why or that it even really would come, just that it was a possibility. But I also knew my defence would work. Of that I was practically positive.

No attack came in the dream, and there was none visible on the horizon, but I was prepared.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home