Tuesday, February 01, 2005

Home from my weekend in China...

Can you believe it? I was just getting home from a weekend in China. I mean who goes to China for the weekend?? Well, in dreamland, I do apparently.

I was getting in, being driven home in a car (a taxi?) with just my little black shoulder bag as luggage, and I knew I'd used nothing I'd packed. (heck, I'd have had to have spent 40 hours on a plane, how could I?) So anyway, I got dropped off at my parent's house (home -- why has this gone back to being home?) and I went in and my folks were really glad to see me back. I gave mom a big hug and she gave me one back, while dad stood off to one side. After a second I pulled him in and we had a big "family" hug. It was nice. It's been a long time since I've seen my mom, and I miss her.

Then, somehow, I was being let into some sort of disused back storage room. We'd come from some kind of tunnel, the back way into this room. Oh, and my leader? E, of course. She was fearlessly blazing a trail into this strange room. I was somewhat reluctant to follow, worried about being caught, but I quickly realized that it was blocked off. Anyone on the other side of the room, those who "owned" it, couldn't get in since they'd intentionally blocked it. It was a strange place, with walls made out of cinder block, with shelves or workbenches on one wall, and piles of debris on the floor. There were old paint cans, construction material, plastic sheeting, etc etc. Light came from somewhere overhead and also from flurescents over the work benches. E and I paused by a door to the "other side". It was a grey, "commercial" style door, but it had clear plastic sheet sticking out from around the door, from where they'd sealed it from the other side. We listened and she smiled as we heard the sounds of whoever was over there doing whatever they were doing.

The last thing I remember from this room was a stack of old paint cans, with the lables all torn off, and the cans starting to rust. I'd been looking all around for anything with a date on it, to tell me how long this place had been abandoned and neglected, but I never did find anything.

Somehow, I wasn't with E anymore, but I'd run into my ex, in some other part of the tunnels. She was very sad, and she showed me some pictures her mom had sent her. They were photographs that showed people as they were now and also as they were in Victorian times. It was like a photoshop composite, with the modern color photo on one side and a sepia toned black and white on the other, but the layout was such that it was like they were staged together. She had pictures of both herself and her father.

Then I was back at my folks' place and getting ready for a shower. But there were these spiders. They were big and yellow and they looked more like aliens than spiders. There were two crawling around in the tub, and two more out by my dad on the sofa. Dad was ignoring them, but I tried to wash them down the drain. But one wouldn't go, it crawled back out and I threw stuff at it over and over again, and it kept coming like a night of the living dead zombie, until finally I killed it. And woke up.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home